Reflection on Social Media Case 11: OK Go Gravity Song

I found this case to be a little bit of an overreaction. I don't fully understand why OK Go was so against posting their video on YouTube to begin with if they ended up posting it there in the end. I do however understand the frustration with the airline posting the video without permission. It's hard to tell if S7 posted it fully understanding they were breaking the rules or if they simply made a mistake, either way I can understand why OK GO would be upset. Social Media needs to be a companies baby. It has so much power over the way a company is viewed and their reputation in society. With that being said wanted to make sure content is published where you want and when you want it is a valid concern, I just don't really understand why YouTube was such a negative choice. I think YouTube is a much better option for a music video then Facebook Video. The only place I ever look for music videos is YouTube. It's interesting to see just how sticky big companies arguments can be. The feud between Facebook and Alphabet is so far reaching. I think about how badly they want to beat each other out and it seems so silly! They are both SOO successful. They obviously are doing something right so I don't see why they feel the need to be so competitive with each other. Maybe that competition is why they're doing so well, I would just hate to be in an environment with that much contention! This article and this article discuss more about the battle between Facebook and YouTube as they fight to be the best at everything. The second article literally has a picture of a boxing match as the cover photo! It seems so crazy to me how intense the rivalry really is and it's not just Facebook and YouTube. So many multi-million and billion dollar companies are in constant battle to be the best! They each have to work so hard to one up each other. It seems so exhausting! Why can't companies simply focus on one area and become the best at that area and then let other companies be the best in other areas. I guess that philosophy is why I'm not a business major!!

Comments

  1. Good job Molly I liked the articles you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you and think that the whole thing was kind of silly. I also like how you said that social media needs to be a companies baby. So true! Good blog post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that saying a company's social media is like their baby makes perfect sense! It is like their child and they want to be able to say what happens to it, great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thoughts! Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Social Media Case 1: McDStories

Reflection on Social Media Case 12: United Breaks Guitars

Social Media Change